“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” -Helen Keller

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hot dog buns and "maple" syrup

I've been worried about hot dog buns recently.

For some reason, we thought it would be a good idea to buy a giant bag of hot dog buns from Costco. Oh, all the sausages and lobster rolls we'll eat! Two weeks later, I'm staring at 7 leftover buns in the fridge.

One thing I did know was that by the power vested in me I was not going to let these buns go to waste! I had barely started planning my triumphant victory when I stumbled across Amateur Gourmet's Hot Dog Bun French Toast recipe. This was my lucky day!

I suspected we wouldn't be able to eat 12 pieces of french toast (6 buns), so I halved the original recipe, added cinnamon to the batter and substituted half the milk for heavy cream. That means I used:

3 hot dog buns
1/4 cup milk + 1/4 cup cream
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
A pinch of salt
3 Tbs butter (for the pan)

We didn't have any almond slivers at the house, so I omitted them but made one of the hot dog buns into stuffed french toast. I figured they already had little pockets in them.
















































































For the stuffed french toast, all I did was stuff one of the hot dog buns with organic cream cheese and homemade blueberry jam and pan-fry it on medium heat for 3 minutes on each side, pressing down a bit to get a better seal around the opening. Next time I'll lower the heat a bit and cook for 4 minutes on each side to get a gooier filling. But it still turned out great and was gobbled up immediately.
















5 comments:

  1. Oh Mz Diana, I am laughing so hard right now. Sending Diego to the store to buy any food item might always be an adventure!! Just gotta love the guy!! Your adaptation sounds very delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mz shane, diego has been cracking me up left and right.

    yk, next time i see you, hot dog bun french toast will be on the menu. i can make it savory for you! like with cheese and bacon stuffed inside.

    jacqueline, all you have to do is supply the hot dog buns and i shall take care of the rest.

    ReplyDelete