“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” -Helen Keller

Monday, August 30, 2010

Is this for your son?

An actual conversation I had with two clerks at a local game store today:

Me: "Hi, do you guys have external hard drives for Xbox 360?"
Guy 1: "Oh, it's over here [tells me about their selection]."
Guy 2: "Who are you getting this for? Your son?"
Me: "No, oh my god, how old do you think I am?!"
Guy 1: "24."
Me: [puzzled look]
Guy 2: "Where are you from exactly?"
Me: "California."
Guy 1: "Oh, over here people have kids young, that's why."
Guy 2: "They have a school up in Davis that's just for pregnant teens! It's like, everyone's pregnant there."
Me: "That's crazy."
Guy 1: "Yeah, people usually have kids by your age. How old are you anyway?"
Me: "28."
Guy 1: "Oh yeah, see if you were LDS and you didn't have kids, people would think you were weird."
Guy 2: "Yeah [nodding]. Really weird."
Me: "Well, then do you guys have kids?"
Guy 1 & 2: "Noooo, no, nooooo... We're not LDS."
Me: "So then are you guys like an abomination?"
Guy 1: "That's right! We're like an abomination."
Guy 2: "Yeeeah, totally."
Then they smiled and nodded at each other with proud looks on their faces.

Later I went home and looked up Utah high schools for pregnant teens and found this placed called "New Beginnings Maternity Home."

Apparently, they're all booked up.

3 comments:

  1. I luv people who are not Mormon in Mormon areas, they are so honest and entertaining as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. does that mean I'd be a grandmother by now? o lordy. My kids would be so messed up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 29,married, and don't have any kids. Guess they better cast me off! LOL.

    More like, entertaining as hell to listen to a bunch of kids who probably haven't ventured elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete