“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” -Helen Keller

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Avocado Ice Cream

Avocados are probably one of my favorite things in the world, not only because of their awesome flavor, but also because of their creamy texture and incredible versatility.  I've tried to eat avocados in every imaginable way and my beloved avocado has never failed me: deep-fried in panko, as a relish, in pasta, baked into bread, whipped into mousse, in panna cotta, etc...

So there really isn't a single way that I won't eat avocados, but there are some ways that I love it better than others.  Guacamole is a serious addiction of mine, so are avocado-flavored desserts.  And since more exotic ice cream flavors are hard to come by in Salt Lake City, I was giddy with excitement when, armed with my brand-new ice cream maker, I experimented with making my own avocado ice cream.

The result was a super rich, velvety ice cream bursting with avocado flavor.  Of course, when I say avocado, I always mean the more flavorful Hass variety, and during the winter and spring, I'm eating Mexican avocados because right now happens to be their peak season.

And since avocados are eaten sweet in many countries (consider avocado shakes in the Philippines or paletas de aguacate in Mexico), it's actually a pretty popular way to eat avocados!

With that said-- enjoy!


Avocado Ice Cream
Servings: 7-8 cups

Ingredients
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 cup heavy cream
4 small ripe avocados
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

Preparation
1)  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1.5 cup whole milk (reserve 1/2 cup milk), granulated sugar, vanilla and salt until sugar is dissolved; whisk in heavy cream and refrigerate
2)  Peel and pit avocados, then place avocado flesh into a blender with 1/2 cup milk, lime juice and 1/2 cup condensed milk; puree until smooth (add additional tablespoon of milk if mixture is too thick)
3)  Whisk avocado mixture into milk mixture until thoroughly combined
4)  Pour mixture immediately into the frozen bowl of your ice cream maker; ice cream should be ready in 20 minutes
5)  Freeze ice cream in an airtight container for 2 hours or overnight before serving

2 comments:

  1. Avocados are super versatile!
    You can have them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, appetizer... even desserts! Enjoy the authentic flavor of Avocados from Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HAVE to do this sometime. This is genius. By the way, do you have an email address or some other form of contact? I'd like to ask you a question about one of your pictures. Thanks for your time!

    ReplyDelete